West Coast Strength & Conditioning Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oly Lifting Shoes

3 posters

Go down

Oly Lifting Shoes Empty Oly Lifting Shoes

Post by RachelB 3/7/2013, 9:14 pm

Chris mentioned yesterday that I should probably invest in some lifting shoes. I thought that my Nanos would get me by, but I'm happy to see the difference in using better shoes. Any recommendations? I have a narrow foot.
On another note, this forum is governed by French law? Are we changing the flag in the gym? Wink

RachelB

Back to top Go down

Oly Lifting Shoes Empty Re: Oly Lifting Shoes

Post by steph 3/8/2013, 4:13 pm

Hey Rachel,
I could not agree more with Chris that you should DEFINITELY invest in some lifting shoes. They will make a tremendous difference. While the nanos are great shoes, it is absolutely worth it to have specific shoes for lifting, especially since you take your Oly lifting pretty seriously.
I know that the CrossFit Oly shoes are good and alot of people at the gym wear them. One benefit of those shoes is that they are pretty versatile and can be used in workouts in which there lifting and, for example, double unders or box jumps.
The lifting shoes I wear (Nike Romaleos) are pretty heavy, and although I've done both double unders and box jumps in them, it's not something I'd want to do everyday. They are, however, incredibly stable, and since I use them exclusively for lifting, I'm not concerned with how well I can do double unders when I'm wearing them.
Adidas also makes a very good lifting shoe. Rogue Fitness sells a wide variety of shoes all in one place (makes for easy comparison shopping).
http://www.roguefitness.com/shoes/weightlifting-shoes.php?gclid=CK_snMT27bUCFYxDMgod7T8AnQ
Check out your different options, read some reviews, consider the pricing and what you're going to be using the shoes for, and the buy a pair!
Good luck!

steph

Back to top Go down

Post by RachelB 3/8/2013, 10:13 pm

Steph,
Thanks for the reply, but now I have some more questions! Smile so I was just considering oly shoes exclusively for the lifting classes or for benchmarks like Grace or Randy, but after reading your post, I'm wondering how much of a difference oly shoes make in a lift plus something else workout. Trying to debate whether the benefits that I would receive from the lifting would outweigh the handicap on the other movements.
Thanks for the different options. I will check them out!

RachelB

Back to top Go down

Post by steph 3/8/2013, 11:40 pm

It's totally up to you. The Reebok/ CrossFit oly shoes are good lifting shoes on their own, so if you like them, it might be smart to get a shoe that can do double duty if you need it to. I would try to find some to try on... just ask people at the gym who have the same size foot or try Sports Chalet in Oxnard; they carry the Reebok Crossfit shoes (but I don't know how extensive their selection is).

steph

Back to top Go down

Post by megholliday 3/11/2013, 2:57 pm

i'm a fan of the heavy, stiff lifting shoe for olympic lifting and front/overhead squat work. the sneaker-lifting shoe hybrids are extremely flexible and i need more stability help than that, and i don't use heavy enough weight in crossfit workouts to really necessitate wearing the lifting shoe. for my powerlifts, i wear the flatest shoes possible (vans)
megholliday
megholliday

Back to top Go down

Post by RachelB 3/19/2013, 1:03 am

Ordered my new shoes today...updating tracking every minute. Are they here yet? Are they here yet??? bounce

RachelB

Back to top Go down

Post by steph 3/28/2013, 9:26 pm

Rachel, have your shoes come yet? Which ones did you end up ordering???

steph

Back to top Go down

Post by RachelB 3/30/2013, 9:16 am

I wound up buying the Adidas powerlift shoes based on the reviews. I was hoping that I could try them on in the stores, but nowhere out here carried them. I brought them in on Thursday before using them at class because I wasn't sure that I bought what I needed. Chris said they were the right shoes, so I tried them out on power cleans and dead lifts. I didn't notice much difference yet, but my weights were still pretty light.

RachelB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down