West Coast Strength & Conditioning Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Protein Shake Question

5 posters

Go down

Protein Shake Question Empty Protein Shake Question

Post by MarthaB 3/4/2013, 7:22 pm

I need some advice about protein drinks after working out. I figured I'd post it here in case the info would help others. I had been thinking about adding it, and Timothy David Vreeland peaked my interest in it again on Thursday.

1. Should I? Would it help?
2. I've got a food allergy for whey, and soy is bad - so what do I use? Hemp?? 3. What brands are good - and NO sugar please. I have to be really careful about any sort of sugar if I'm leaning out.

~Barbara
MarthaB
MarthaB

Back to top Go down

Protein Shake Question Empty Re: Protein Shake Question

Post by Colin 3/5/2013, 12:22 pm

I'm assuming this is Barbara, and not Martha correct?

1) Should I? Would it help?

That depends on when your working out, and your general food habits, etc... Also, would it help...with what? You mentioned the goal is to lean out, and yes, getting in adequate protein after workouts (and throughout the day) can help you out.

2. I've got a food allergy for whey, and soy is bad - so what do I use? Hemp??

Lots of choices out there. I've seen good success with people who have whey allergies with Goat protein, but if that is unaffordable, Egg protein can be pretty decent as well.

3. What brands are good - and NO sugar please. I have to be really careful about any sort of sugar if I'm leaning out.

Goat Protein - https://opt.infusionsoft.com/app/storeFront/showProductDetail?productId=310
(don't be scared of the 10g carbs if taking post workout, that is actually beneficial unless all you're doing is strength training)

Egg Protein - http://www.amazon.com/100%25-Pure-Egg-Whites-Natural/dp/B00333SO40/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362500435&sr=8-1&keywords=Bioplex+Simply+Whites+-+Natural
(less quality than the goat protein, but may be more affordable)
Colin
Colin
Admin

http://westcoastsc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BZ 3/5/2013, 11:09 pm

I successfully logged in!

(1) I'm curious if it would help with building strength. I feel pretty good about how I lean out when my diet is really strict.

(3) The Goat protein looks interesting. It does have stevia though, but a little of that isn't too bad.

I have a food sensitivity to eggs (the worst for paleo!!) and when I did my blood test, egg whites were actually a lot worse than egg yolks for me. I can tolerate a little bit of eggs if cooked in something. Occasionally I do a scramble and feel sluggish.

Martha also mentioned pea protein. In a really, really quick search, I found a recommendation for rice & pea powder on a paleo forum. It was for someone who had some of the same autoimmune issues with food.

Thanks! - Barbara

BZ

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin 3/5/2013, 11:44 pm

Cool!

Not sure about the pea protein. Honestly, you may just be fine going with whole foods if you can manage to bring a bit to the gym or have a meal right when you get home. That might be better in your case, especially if you're having to consider less-quality sources (like peas) due to food intolerances.

This is a good article from Robb Wolf about just having whole-foods post workout.
http://robbwolf.com/2012/05/31/11524/
Colin
Colin
Admin

http://westcoastsc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by steph 3/7/2013, 9:48 am

Barb, I think in your case whole foods might definitely be the best way to go post workout... I've found that chicken with or without mashed sweet potatoes is pretty easy to stomach after even the toughest workout, as long as you give yourself a few minutes before eating...

steph

Back to top Go down

Post by megholliday 3/12/2013, 4:55 pm

hey barbara, if you have trouble getting enough protein from whole foods post-workout, you could try supplementing with some branched chain amino acids, too. and if strength is the goal, have you ever tried experimenting with creatine post-workout?
megholliday
megholliday

Back to top Go down

Protein Shake Question Empty Thanks..

Post by BZ 3/25/2013, 1:38 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I'm just making a point to eat some protein within a half hour of a workout. I think just that advice will help. I'm usually not hungry after I work out and I'll go hours before I eat. In some cases a shake is just going to be easier to drink down, so I might experiment with those - but only use them when I don't have something else to eat.

BZ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum